- Chronic bronchitis associated with COPD is inflammation in your larger airways that causes swelling and obstruction. This can make it harder for air to move in or out of your lungs
- Chronic bronchitis does not always go away completely
- Inflammation of the airways can cause symptoms like coughing, mucus production, and shortness of breath
- SPIRIVA HandiHaler can help by opening airways for 24 hours. One daily dose of SPIRIVA HandiHaler can help by relaxing the tiny muscles in the airways, which helps open airways for up to 24 hours
COPD and SPIRIVA HandiHaler
Breathing with COPD is no small thing.
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) is a serious lung disease and breathing usually gets worse over time. COPD includes chronic bronchitis, emphysema, and episodes of worsened symptoms called flare-ups (also known as exacerbations).
COPD is treatable. If you have COPD, SPIRIVA HandiHaler can help you breathe better and improve lung function by opening airways for 24 hours. SPIRIVA HandiHaler is not a rescue inhaler and should not be used for treating sudden breathing problems. Talk to your doctor about all of your options for managing COPD.
COPD is not the same as asthma. And although smoking is the number one cause of COPD, COPD is more than just smoker's cough. You don't have to be an active smoker to have COPD.
- Emphysema associated with COPD is a permanent condition caused by damage to the air sacs in your lungs (called alveoli). This can make breathing out more difficult, so air remains trapped in your lungs. This leaves less room for fresh air to get in
- Emphysema can make breathing harder and put strain on the muscles you use for breathing
- SPIRIVA HandiHaler can help keep your airways open for 24 hours. SPIRIVA HandiHaler helps relax the muscles in the walls of your airways to open them and improve airflow into and out of the lungs, helping to empty your lungs so you can breathe in fresh air
Flare-ups (also called exacerbations)
- COPD symptom flare-ups are episodes of new or increasing symptoms that last at least three days.
- Symptoms may include: coughing, mucus, wheezing, shortness of breath, or tightness in the chest
- When you experience a COPD flare-up, you may require treatment beyond your normal medications and, in some cases, flare-ups may require hospitalization
- SPIRIVA HandiHaler can help reduce the likelihood of COPD flare-ups. Once-daily SPIRIVA HandiHaler works to keep your airways open for up to 24 hours
- SPIRIVA HandiHaler can't replace your rescue inhaler for treating sudden breathing problems. It's important to talk to your doctor about the roles of rescue and maintenance treatment